Saturday 23 August 2014

Once again time has slipped by and though we have done quite a lot I haven’t had the time to tell you. So here is another little bit about us and our adventure in parts unknown.
The day after that London trip I told you about, we headed out to a small town (Leverstock Green) not too far from here to find a pub, that’s right a pub. Ya, to a little place called the Leather Bottle, a place that I often heard my Grandfather speak of when I was a growing boy. We found the place with a little help from GPS and then once again we found ourselves in the middle of history, but this time we were in the middle of family history dating back into the 1800s. Family history my grandfather and his brother left behind to begin a new history of which I am part.
We had a coffee at the Leather Bottle then went to the library just behind it to do a little family research. We found out several things, one of which was that sometime in the later 1800’s the Leather Bottle was in fact owned and operated by a family of Seabrooks. They had chickens and pigs in the backyard and sold Bacon and eggs in the pub as an all-day breakfast thing. So I now announce that I hail from a long line of bartenders, well a guy’s got to start somewhere.
On the way to the church just up the block we stopped at a house where I believe I have seen a picture of my Grandmother and Grandfather and then another more recent one of my Uncle and Aunt. So, we stopped and Gail took a picture of me in front of the same house. Then we carried on over to the church to find some Seabrooks. We found more outside the church than inside which was not always the case because we found (in the library) some pictures of Seabrooks inside the church. We found a number of head stones with the Seabrook name on them and although we do not yet know exactly how these people are related to me, we are sure that most of them are. We also found some with the Sharp name on them which was my Grandmother’s maiden name.
We had supper at the Leather Bottle. So, in general we had a great trip. Although she doesn’t have to do any of the driving on the wrong side of the road, Gail does return from these little excursions quite a bit worse for the ware. I am getting a bit used to it but, I know that in any danger situation I would probably react exactly opposite to what would be right for here.
OK that’s enough for now. Talk to you later.
God bless. With love.
Erwin & Gail


                                    The Olde Leather Bottle inside and out
                If this is the same place it is a place where family lived once upon a time
                                        The church at Leverstock Green
  I'm not going to be so morbid as to post the picitures of a bunch of headstones but here                                                              are two

2 comments:

  1. Hey check this out!

    http://www.lgchronicle.net/MLenoJunior.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting a little family history. Have fun researching your roots. Bring back as much information as you can!

    And try not to forget that at least PART of what you are doing there is resting. . .

    Miss you both. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete